Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

washer fwt645rh50 door light come on when closed but will

washer fwt645rh50 door light come on when closed but will not start up troublshooting all is plugged in ck water and fuses and boxes what could be wrong
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today.
Please look at this diagram for your machine :
graphic

#15 is a magnetic switch, called a reed switch. If electrically open, will keep the machine from doing anything at all.This is what is activated when you close your dispenser drawer , as I know you stated you have done, but this switch is actuated by a tiny magnet in the dispenser drawer , #51. If the magnet becomes lost or the switch goes bad, you will have absolutely no response from the machine, even when the drawer is closed. This was a problem so Frigidaire has eliminated the switch and jumpered th connection on all replacement control boards for you machine. Check for the magnet in the drawer, and if you see/ feel it, open the top of the machine by removing the rear screws, look towards the left of the control panel where the main controller is mounted, you will see this :
graphic

he black part of the switch will be clipped on to the area behind the dispenser, roughly where #27 is pointing in the diagram.You can test the switch if you want by removing the connector from the controller, put your meter on lowest ohms or continuity, touch the leads to the terminals on the connector and close the dispenser drawer. If no continuity, replace the switch if you want, or the magnet in the drawer, whichever applies to your case, but honestly, you can just cut the black switch off and connect the wires together, tape them out of the way and try again. Like I said, the manufacturer eliminated that switch on all replacement boards for your machines and they come jumpered right from the factory, so you dont need it! Let me know if you need any further information or if this does not work!
Thanks!

Edited by Eric on 9/29/2009 at 4:05 PM EST
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Please also check that the door catch is not broken. It will look like this :graphic

If broken the door cannot lock even when closed and the machine will not do anything.
Let me know what you find.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The diagram doesn't look the same as my washer. After checking the model number again I found they did not match the correct number is XXXXX
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the update moose357! In that case, here is the correct diagram :
graphic

The steps of th diagnosis will be the same, but the reed switch is #12 and the magnet is #8. Also, I posted another message about the door catch. Please check that as well. It is the same for this model. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The door latch looks fine and is not broken. The door lock indicator light comes on when I close the door. When I opened the dispenser tray the light went off. I do not have a meter to check the continuity, but I held a magnet up to the contact point and the door lock indacator light would come on when I made contact and go off when I removed it. This is also the same when I open and close the dispenser tray. We recently replaced the door latch assembly, both male and female sides.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Understood, Thanks!
Ok now we are going to have some fun. You really will need a meter to diagnose this problem because while you still can do the checks we talked about earlier, aside from the continuity check, the fact that the lights associated with the reed switch and with the door lock assembly are reacting normally tells me that their circuits are working. Tell me ,does the machine at least fill with water or does it not even do that? Please describe ANY reaction from the machine that occurs, other that what you already have told me about the lock and dispenser lights, that occurs with different control settings and an attempt to start . Please also try a different water temp settings , and please try to put the timer on a drain / spin and tell me all that happens. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The machine does absolutly nothing when I turn it on other than the door lock light coming on. It does not fill up with water on any setting. I put it on all water temp settings and then turned the dial to all the cycle settings, fill, wash, spin and still no sound or reaction at all.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
graphic

I know you say you have already replaced the door lock assembly, but looking at your wiring diagram, the ONLY point at which L1 power is going to be cut to every other part of the machine except the reed switch and the door lamp IS the door switch, which is inside the door lock assembly. PLEASE check that your connections there are good and try pushing hard on the door near the door lock assembly when the door is closed to see if maybe its not getting a good MECHANICAL connection to the door catch etc. This is because based on your symptoms, the door switch IS the culprit here. We know its not the timer push-pull because you are getting power to the reed switch and door lamp. I am happy to clarify this for you.
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.