Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Amana gas range (AGS780WW) has a problem with the bake burner.

My Amana gas range (AGS780WW) has a problem with the bake burner. If I try to turn on the bake burner at the control panel, nothing happens. However, if I first warm up the oven using the broiler burner, I can then operate the bake burner in a normal manner. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this is a common problem with these, you need to change the oven igniter, Part 1191these get weak and dont draw the right amount of amperage to light the oven , change this and you should be all set. thanks Bryan, the part # XXXXX XXXXX on repair $53.00
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can understand why this would prevent the burner from lighting, but then why does it work OK after the oven is warm?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well do you have a seperate broil? is the broil on in the bottom in a pull out drawer? the diagrams dont show much.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The broiler burner is at the top of the oven. Once the broiler has warmed the oven up to about 300 degrees, the bake burner (at the bottom of the oven) operates normally.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the igniter has sensors in it, when you warm it up it probably draws more amps then. when you try bake when its cold does the igniter come on at all and glow?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it does.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok it needs to be changed for sure. trust me we change allot of these. you bake more than you broil therefor the bake burns out faster than the broil, changing it will take care of your problem, well wishes and thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry, but your answer doesn't make sense to me. If a new igniter solves the problem, I'll accept your answer - I hope it does! Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok, when you change it let me know and then if your happy you can accept, thats ok with me I'm not out to take anyones money I dont help. thanks and I'm pretty sure you will be happy, talk again soon, thanks Bryan