Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

we just bought an Amana fridge- model # ABB2222FEB used. weve

we just bought an Amana fridge- model # XXXXX used. we've had it plugged in and running now for about 15 hours and it's only slightly cool. The freezer has hamburger patties that are completely defrosted. and both the fridge and the freezer are set to the highest temperature 7. What's the problem here?! Did we buy a dud fridge? I need help ASAP....my food is going bad!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok it sounds like you may be low on freon in this unfortunatly. you can check this by removing the back panel inside the freezer section and check the frost pattern on the coils. if they are all frosted evenly then the freon is ok, if only a small section of the coils (corner or one row) then this has a freon leak and you bought a dud. sorry, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, give me a moment to check my fridge. it might take a minute to unscrew the back panel! Please stay online and help me! I'm gonna need to reply back to you somehow after I send this message off....so maybe write me so I have somewhere to tell you what my fridge is doing
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'll be here dont worry, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, I checked my coils. Are they the coils that are copper color? If so....those coils have NO frost at all. If there's another set of coils I'm missing....let me know. But the ones I saw when I took off the back panel were copper in color and some were cold and some were hot. But if this is our problem...and we have no frost....and have a frion problem....is there ANY way to fix this? Or does the fridge just need to be disposed of? What would our options be at that point.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok I believe you checked the wrong coils, you need to take the back panel (inside) the freezer section off. you need to remove the food and the shelves and then the back panel. the coils will be silver colored. let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. we were looking at the wrong coils, but now it's the same outcome. There is NO frost at all on the silver coils. What do we do now?! How do we fix this?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok do you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor in the back? is the compressor running? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no clicking. just a quiet hum. it sounds like something is running/working. and the temperature in both the fridge and freezer is SLIGHTLY cool. Definitly not cool enough though...even for the fridge. it's too hot. but it's slightly cooler than our room temperature
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you either have a bad compressor or the freon is gone from this. either one is a job that needs to be done by a licensed technician unfortunatly. sorry to be the barer of bad news. this is expensive to repair and you are better served replacing this. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. well one last question then. is there any way for us to see what the problem is ourselves? Is there a way to check to see if frion is the problem, or if the compressor is the problem? any "at-home" ways to check for that? Maybe then we could see about doing the repair ourselves? This is so frustrating! But thank you for your help. Any other last advice? any advice on repair places or people that are good? Or....would you reccommend we get a whole new fridge all together?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well the problem with that is you need allot of special equipment to do this, you would need a set of freon gages ,at tap valve,a recovery system, freon, and a host of other tools most of which you cant buy without a license and its also illegal to do this without a license, a $50,000 dollar fine! I really wish I could help more, sorry, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.