Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Neptune Top Load washer FAV6800AWW. It is 4 years

We have a Neptune Top Load washer FAV6800AWW. It is 4 years old. About two months ago it started this. On a light load it goes through the wash cycle until the last spin and stops at 12 and throws a code DC which should mean unbalanced load. We can shake everything around and redistribute but still continues to start and stop again with DC. IF we throw in some heavy towels with it then it goes. We have been told this unit is sensitive to light loads but it worked fine until now. We have taken off the hose at the pump and took the pump apart to be sure nothing like coins we in it blocking the drain. Checked the level of the machine and we need help. We have spoken to two appliance centers and both have different answers and high labor rates. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
you can go to this site(its for techs only) but you can still check it and see all the codes and remedy's that the techs use, this should give you some insite as to why this is occuring, these machine have unbalanced load switches in them and if the shocks are getting weak this may cause the machine to hit the switch on lite loads(they tend to get unbalanced easier) hope this helps, thanks Bryan, http://servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16022808.pdf
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bryan,
We have a big technical sheet that was on the back of the washer. My husband has gone through the symptoms and diagnosis but nothing seems to match. Two appliance centers have suggested the clutch could be getting weak. My husband is very mechanical and is puzzled why the clutch would act this way on a light load rather than a heavy load.
Is it difficult to replace a clutch and are special tools required. He was a mechanic and has a torque wrench and many other tools.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this is a big job and you need special tools to do this, also some of the parts are spring loaded and dangerous to attempt yourself(if this is what the problem is) to be honest you should call for service and have this done by a tech, also I agree with your husband ,I cant see this being a clutch problem. these machines are complicated and dificult to repair, I wish I could do more but cant online, well wishes and thanks, Bryan