John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

Some of the numbers on my keypad for my GE microwave are not

Some of the numbers on my keypad for my GE microwave are not working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
How long have you owned the appliance?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2 Years
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
First, check the touchpad at the corners with your fingernail to see if theres' a thin plastic film on the surface. Please post back, when you've checked it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you talking about a clear plastic film that can be peeled off? If so then no there is not a thin plastic film that can be peeled off.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Yes. It's applied at the factory for protecting the touch panel. Sometimes it's not removed at installation, and will caused the problem you described. The problem is most likely with the control board to which the touchpad is connected. I suggest that you contact a company authorized service company to get the part number and price for a replacement control board. Another good source for information is 'appliancepartspros.com'. Their phone number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I order a new control board and replace it myself?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

They're fairly easy to replace. The question is whether or not you'd feel comfortable trying to do the job. The access space is confined, and the board is rather fragile. With all the wires that connect to the board, there's the potential for error. I suggest that you call a service person, and ask for a phone estimate for the job. It's a common job for us who repair them regularly. It might be worth it to have it done by a professional.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.