Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

our Sub Zero wont make ice, its a bottom drawer freezer model.

our Sub Zero won't make ice, it's a bottom drawer freezer model. It's was left slightly ajar and it seems that it may have defrosted a bit and then when it was closed froze over. Will defrosting the freezer and melting all the ice in it allow it to start working again?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
that would probably do it. the best thing for this is a hair dryer , defrost the entire ice maker and the line that feeds it insid the freezer. also the cup at the back of the ice maker. if that doesnt work get back to me and we will get further into it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll do this and should I just leave the answer window open to be able to communicate with you in the event that doesn't work? And so I can plan accordingly around my family, about how long do you think this process will take?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well it shouldnt take more than an hour to defrost it, then you have to wait another hour or two before it starts making ice again, just leave the question open I'll be around most of the evening, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so I got it defrosted. There's a piece at the top of the freezer, I believe it's the cooling element? it's encased in white metal protective piece with vents. The metal coil inside was covered in ice, I kept the blow dryer on it until the ice was all gone, except the water didn't drip out anywhere. I can only assume the water collected in the bottom of this encasement. I can unscrew it but it's also caulked to keep it sealed. Is this potentially a problem?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this is where the coils are and the water goes down a tube to a pan, you may have a defrost issue with this though,that may be why your ice maker stopped working, for this I would call a tech in, these are a son of a gun to work on trust me, when the temperature isnt right the ice maker will stop working it has a thermostat in it, even though the food id frozen the temp may not be low enough to make ice. thats all i can do for you, well wishes and thanks Bryan