Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our GE Profile Perfomance side-by-side refrigerator freezer

Our GE Profile Perfomance side-by-side refrigerator freezer has stopped cooling. The lights and fan continue to work. This problem started after the freezer door was left open all day yesterday. The compressor is humming as though there is a motor running in there, but no cooling cycle is happening. What may have broken? Relay, thermal protection or thermostat? Thank you. Peter
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok can you get me the model #? it should be inside the fresh food section on one of the side walls, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
TFX22PP
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
this is probably stuck in the defrost mode or you have a problem with the compressor relay, do your hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the back? you need to find your defrost timer, Part 2578 its located behind the light cover where your cold controls are in the fresh food section , turn this with a flat head screw driver clockwise and see if the refrigerator comes back on, if it does you need to replace this. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just tried this, cooling fan turned off when I turned the timer with screw driver, then turned back on with further turning. Still seems to be no cooling, but may be too soon. what next?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok does the compressor feel hot or cold? you may need to remove the back panel inside the reezer section and check the frost pattern, if you coils are frosted evenly then the compressor is running right, if you have just a liitle frost on only part of the coils then you have a sealed system problem or a bad compressor. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Considering that I have no cooling at all, but fans and lights are working, I think it is a bad compressor. Do you agree?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
eather a bad compressor or a bad compressor relay. thanks Bryan