Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Kenmore dishwasher takes an extraordinary amount of time

Customer Question

My Kenmore dishwasher takes an extraordinary amount of time to complete a cycle. The long wash cycle happens in both the "smart wash" and normal cycle mode. Is there something that I can do - such a cleaning a sensor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure how long the cycle is taking, but it should take about 1 hours and 45 minutes for a normal cycle, and for smart wash it all depends on if your just cleaning glasses to make them sparkle again or if your washing actual food off dishes. The dishwasher will sense if it needs a normal cycle or a shorter cycle so on smart wash it will range from 1 hours and 15 minutes to 2 hours.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not actually timed it but the cycle seems much longer and it does not seem to dry as well either
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok do you have a model number for the unit? It should be located around the door frame if you open the door on a sticker.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Kenmore classic
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
There should be a number. It should be around the frame as I stated. It will be all number and look like: XXX . XXXXXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
665-110739130
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok that is the correct format and the 665 is correct but could you check the numbers after that again? I'm not pulling up that model.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
665-110739130.. I triple checked it....
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
hmm well I'm not sure why it's not coming up on the sears website under that number but that's ok the 665 is enough to figure out what's going on with the unit. This unit is actually made by kitchenaid but it was sold under kenmore name.

If your unit is not longer drying your dishes then you've answered your question as to why everything is taking too long. There are certain points in the cycle that the timer will pause for the water to heat, it will eventually move on but it will give about 30 minutes time to try and heat the water and then move on reguardless. This particular style of unit is known for having issues with their heaters going out which is probably why it's no longer heating. So in addition to it taking a long time to wash, it doesn't dry, and you've probably noticed it doesn't clean as well as it once did before. Either way you will need to replace the heating element.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is the heating unit hard to replace? where can it be ordered from?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Searspartsdirect.com is who supplies Kenmore parts but like I said, I can't look up your exact model for some reason so you may have to call them.

To replace the element you will need to pull the unit out and tip it on it's back so that you can remove the plastic nuts holding down the back of the element coming from underneath the unit.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your help
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem and best of luck to you friend.