Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Kenmore Elite HE3 model 110 washer. I cannot get the

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite HE3 model 110 washer. I cannot get the door open> Error code Fdl shows in the led.
I have tried the rinse & drain, I have tried pulling the cord for a while and reinserting it. Have tried restarting the cycle.
No luck. I need the clothes that are in the locked washer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok what you need to do is remove the bottom panel under the door in the front, there should be 3 screws holding this on. you may have to tip the machine back against the wall to see them, leave the machine tipped back, brace it so it wont fall and in the front of the machine inside you will see the pump , there is a coin catch filter there it unscrews counter clockwise, you need to open this and clean the trap . and after you get that clean try putting the machine in drain and see if it spins and drains, be careful when you open the trap there will be allot of water in the machine open it slowly and get some towel and sop up the water until it stops leaking then remove the trap. your pump will look similar to this one. if the door doesn't unlock after this the there is a release ring you can reach up inside to the door lock assembly and release this by hand, just pull down on the ring showed in this picture on the right side in picture, it will be facing down in the machine. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bryan, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX trap cleaned out, indeed it was stuffed. The machine still will not operate, so I had to pull the release for the door.
It is still showing the Fdl error code and beeping.
Is there anything else or is there a "real" problem with the washer?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well the fdl is a problem with the door lock assembly. you need to replace the door lock, now that you have the door open can you check the tag and get me the full model # ? I'll make sure of the part # XXXXX you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX Its almost 5 years old.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX link directly to your part, just copy and paste it to you url and it take you right to it. the part # XXXXX