Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My 50 gallon water heater leaks, I first thought it was coming

My 50 gallon water heater leaks, I first thought it was coming from the lower element but was wrong. The tank is now rusted at the bottom and the insulation is damp. I think now that it may be the clean out spicket, is this removable?
more than likely this is leaking from the top. (they rust out) and the water is working its way down the inside of the outer casing, shut the power of and open the cover where the top element is and feel the insulation at that point if its wet you need to replace the water heater again unfortunatly. these usually rust around the inlet and out let lines in the top of the heater. i dont believe the spicket is removable, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

The insulation at the upper element is dry. If I remove the casing bottom do you think I will be able to retro-fit the plastic cleanout spicket with a brass one? just a thought before replacing this heater with something better, maybe a "Marathon" pricey at $1000 plus but never any rust.

Dave

I dont really know this model so i'll opt ot and maybe someone else does, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

I'm accepting your responses because I think everyone should be payed. Knowledge is valuable.

Thank's for the attempt.

Dave

thank you and have a great day. Bryan