The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

my FOODSAVER sealer/vacuum no longer seals-the heat strip does

Customer Question

my FOODSAVER sealer/vacuum no longer seals-the heat strip does not heat up,eventsn
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

When these units stop heating the strip it is usually a wire that has come loose or burnt through.

What you need to do is remove th ebottom of the unit and using a test meter check the continuity of the heater strip first. If it checks out ok them look around for a wire that has separated and re solder it.

considering the relatively low cost to purchase a new one I would not put too much effort into repairing this one. These units are not made to last a long time. Two years of once a week or so usage is about the max life of one.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I PAID (ACCEPTED YOR ANSWER SO YOU CAN BE PAID.BUT I DONT HAVE AN ANSWER ABOUT THE OBJECT WIRED IN LINE -COULD ITR BE A THERMAL FUSE BAD THAI CAUSES POWER TO SHUT OFF TO HEAT STRIP-I WOULD LIKE TO FIX IT THE THING COSTS ALMOST $200.00!!!!!!! THANKS
Im sorry but this is the question I recieved on my end. "my FOODSAVER sealer/vacuum no longer seals-the heat strip does not heat up,eventsn"
Nothing about an inline object.
Probably a system glitch. I'll be sure and let the engineers know about it.
Please tell me what the model number of the unit is.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I STILLHAVENT GOTTEN AN ANSWER IF THERE IS SOME OPOBLEM WITJ WHAT APPEARS TO BE A THERMAL FUSE UNDER THE STRIP SEPARATED ONLY BY THE PLASTIC CASE? THANX BIG D,

Ok I cant see what you see. Please be patient as I have other customers I am working with.

Please describe what it is you are looking at.

If you can provide me with a make and model number I may be able to bring up a diagram or a schematic of your unit.

If you have a digital camera I can tell you how to upload pictures to our servers. Then I can see what you see.

Thank you.

Edited by The Home Smithy on 9/24/2009 at 6:59 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SMITHY-ALL THESE FOOD SAVER MODELS HAVE THE SAME MAKEUP INSUDE THE CASE =UNDER THE ISIDE OF THE CASE THERE ARE TERMINALS FOR ATTACHING THE HEAT STRIP=FROM ONE OF THESE TERMINALS TO THE OTHER THERE IIS A WIRE WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE A THERMAL FUSE OR A RESISTOR -USING MY METERTHERE IS AN OPEN BETWEEN THE TWO ENDS OF THIS ITEM-IS THIS NORMALLY OPEN OR IS IT CLOSED? COULD THIS BE A CLUE-INCIDENTALLY,THE UNIT IS A "FOODSAVER 1075"-THANKS

ALRIGHT Big Daddy! Now we are getting somewhere. That and I tried to find our old seal a meal to have a look at it. No luck though. Its in one of our closets ...SOMEWHERE lol.

Looking in the thing wrapped in plastic can you tell me if it is: flat, round, bulbous, or looks like this

graphic

FOUND MINE!! give me a minuet to open it up.

Well its not a diode, and its not a fuse of any sort. All I can figure is its a capacitor of some kind. Mine is open also.But my unit still works.

Try a voltage test from one side of the strip to the other with one end unhooked so you get a voltage reading of the transformers output. Should be around 12.5 v AC.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK SMITHY-ILL TRY THAT AND ILL GET BACK TO YOU-BIG DADDY
Ok