John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My GE stackable washer dryer will not drain. The repair man

Customer Question

My GE stackable washer dryer will not drain. The repair man came out and told me that it was the pump. I overfilled it by trying to wash a mattress pad. He wanted to charge me $195 to replace the pump. My dad thought it was highway robbery and said that I could find a way to find the pump model number that he could replace it. How many GE stackable washer dryer things are out there...? A lot? I know it sounds like a dumb question; but I went to the laundromat last night and I did not like it.. so I'm tempted to have him buy a few of them and just return the ones that don't work. Someone help!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

Did the repair man take the front off the washer and look at the water pump.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I was out of town; but my dad said that he did take off the front cover.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
In order to make sure its the pump you have to take the pump hose off the pump and see if its not blocked up with lint.It might just need to be cleaned out.And that pump is not that costly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do all of the GE stackables have the same pump? Where can I find the model number? Is it somewhere on the machine..just in case? I know this is dumb as well; but do I need to empty the water out first before I change the pump hose? And do they carry hoses like at Lowe's and HD.. my dad said it was not that hard.. but I want to make sure before I have a mess on my hands.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

This is what the water pump looks like.You can put the drain hose in a bucket on the floor to get rid of the water before you take the hose off the water pump..

The model # XXXXX XXXXX the lid or on top of the console.