built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer
19717507

I have a GE electric dryer Model # DHDAR46EE1WW and it will

I have a GE electric dryer Model # XXXXX and it will just shut off while drying on timed dry. The timer is still ticking. Inside the drum will be normal temp. Within a couple of minutes you can normally start the dryer again. Sometimes it will finish the cycle...Sometimes it will shut down again and be very hot inside the drum.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
This is not uncommon when the venting needs attention. Any restriction do to lint build up in the vent from inside the dryer to the terminal cap outside can cause the overload protector to shut off the unit to allow it to cool then resets. If there is flex duct, look to see that it is not looping. Should be straight as posible.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The dryer flex duct is about 6" long and goes straight from the dryer to the wall connect. The vent piping is clean. Over the past three years this dryer was installed in two different houses where the dryer vents to the roof of the house vice out the side of the house. There is 1 90 and 1 45 degree bend in the piping. The dryer is only 4 years old. Could the length of the exhaust causing back pressure over heated or over worked the overload protector and made it weak? Should I replace it?

Thanks,

Alan

Dryer venting sounds fine. If terminal cap opens freely then you'll have to look inside the back of the unit in all the duct passages. This will require pulling it out and removing the back. I believe this unit has the lint screen in front. You'll have to be sure that ducting is clear as well.