Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

Have a Kenmore gsi-26 icemaker that quit making ice. The arm

Customer Question

Have a Kenmore gsi-26 icemaker that quit making ice. The arm is all the way down, past normal operating "on" position. How do I fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Summer replied 4 years ago.
Hey,

This is just something you might try.

Lift the thin wire arm all the way up and then make it snap back down.
It's the are that stops the ice cube make from overfilling the basket.

Try it several times to see if that won't get it going again.
Could be a number of thing including the motor. They usually are replaceable, you can buy the whole kit but i think it's over $50.00.

The arm must be broken.

Good Luck.
If this has helped you, do not forget to ACCEPT.
Your feedback is appreciated.
Happy to help you Always.
Thanks & regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tried raising arm and "snapping" back down. no luck. how do I tell if the water line is plugged or something with the icemaker?
once when I took the gear cover off it actually started turning and the arm set itself to what I consider the correct on position. Now the arm is all the way down and no ice.
How to determine what to fix?
Expert:  Summer replied 4 years ago.

# XXXXX ice maker fill tube may be blocked with ice. If so, melt the blockage using a hair dryer-but be careful to not melt any plastic parts! Also replace the water shut-off valve or water-inlet valve, or both, if necessary.

# XXXXX ice maker head assembly may have broken parts. Look to see if the gears are broken. Check to see if the small plastic arms that rest against the ice rake are broken. If the ice maker head assembly is modular and you've found broken parts, you can just replace it.

Good Luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not getting any help from this. I realize if there are broken parts I would need to replace them. As I mentioned I tried the hair dryer thing. That leaves the water shut-off or inlet valve or both as you suggest.
I am getting water thru the system so doubt if that is the issue.
Any more suggestions?
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 4 years ago.
Replace the ice maker itself.....Not worth trying to change parts...What happens is over the the life of the ice mkaer the plastic parts get worn (fingers get hung up...Micro switches do not work properly)...Your ice maker controls the water inlet functions and the the ice tray heater functions...Change it be done with your problem...Thanks Bob