Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

WE have a Fridgidaire fridge Model # PHSC39EESS5. After 3yrs

Customer Question

WE have a Fridgidaire fridge Model # XXXXX After 3yrs temps in the freezer and fridge went up and way out of range. Shut the box off for a few hours. Turned on again

Cooldown went fine, temps both normal for a few days then same fault recurred. Tried again, same thing happened.

Good thing we have a spare fridge! What is happening?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.
Hello is the unit cooling now? Also have you heard a humming then a clicking sound coming from the back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The unit is cooling fine, both fridge and freezer. There is no clicking sound: just the hum of a fan or the compressor. The weather here has been cooler than when the problem first surfaced
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you see any frost at all on the back panel inside the freezer section? let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No frost on the back panel in the freezer. Just cold!

Thanks

pt
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , sorry i had to work late , is the fan running in the freezer and the one in the back next to the compressor? let me know thanks Bryan, If the appliance medic comes back on you can work with him if you want since he started the question, but if he doesnt just come back and ask me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan in the freezer is running and there is air coming out of the floor level duct on the front of the fridge. I take it that this is from the one next to the compressor
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok at this point I need you to remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the frost pattern, there should be a even coating of frost on all the coils, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a thick coating of ice on all the coils. Looks like it is not defrosting? Also the temperature in the fridge section has risen 10 degrees or so.

Thx

pt
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

ok you do have a defrost problem, thats good actually, not a compressor , ok do you own a volt meter? we need to test some things, let me know ,I'll be of and on tonight, the one thing you should do now just to get it running right until we find the problem is take a hair dryer and defrost all the ice and forst of the coils then put the panel back on and let it cool, this will work right for about 3 weeks before this happens agin, in the meantime we will find the problem,I believe its going to be this. Part 892545its the defrost thermostat, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a multimeter and am ready to go to work! The time to freeze up has been about one week, but I may not have had the box off long enough to fully defrost it.

Thanks

pt
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok when you take the back off look for the thermostat i showed you abouve and check it for continuity, this should have continuity when its cold, this is what turns the heater off when its defrosted, also look to see if the top of the thermostat is poped open sometimes you can actually see its damaged, let me know thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I have ordered the thermostat and will instal when it arrives (Sept 30) Inthe meantime many thanks

pt
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome, have a great weekend and thanks Bryan