Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Water is leaking from my Samsung side by side Fridge/freezer.

Customer Question

Water is leaking from my Samsung side by side Fridge/freezer. what should I do
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer's for your appliance questions, Myself and all the other experts are anxious to help you with your problem today. If you will please explain your problem and the model and serial number we can get started...

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Water is leaking from my Samsung side by side Fridge/freezer. what should I do?

Already Tried:
Visual check all internal holes were unblocked
Switched off for 12 hours then re-started

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Is the water coming from inside the freezer or froom underneath it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ice is forming on the bottom of the freezer dept ,and then must be defrosting and dribbles out onto the floor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's coming from inside
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello, this sounds like you have a blockage in the drain tube, remove panel back of freezer..you may see ice build up...melt ice with hair dryer/heat gun...you will see a pan below evaporator (evaporator looks like car radiator)...melt ice in pan...dry water up in pan with paper towel...now you should see a hole in pan that leads to drain tube...pour some hot water in pan..wait a couple minutes..mop up water and repeat this step 2-3 times....once you have done this find some flexible curtain wire or electrical wire..poke down the hole until you see the water drain..now it is clear..put back panel back and you are good to go. The reason you see water/ice in the freezer floor and outside the door is because when the defrost cycle starts the water melted drips down into the pan and is supposed to go out the drain hole. In this case the drain hole/tube is blocked and the water has nowhere else to go but out into the freezer and out the door.Please feel free to comment again if you need any further assistance. Mike
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have taken the back off , there is no ice anywhere to bo seen and the tray is dry . Icannot find any hole , please can you advise next step
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
ok will below the evaporator there is going to be a aluminium pan which catches the defrost water, this is located at the rear of the freezer. that is where the drain hole will be located, I will look up your model number to check where it is and respond if it is located in another spot
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello again, I just pulled up a schmatic for your refridgerator...the drain hole is where i said it would be in the middle of the drip pan underneath the evaporator and the back of the inside of the freezer. if you still cand find it pull the panel off at the rear bottom of the appliance, once this panel is off if you look underneath the freezer compartment you will see a tube going into the condensor tray, trace this tube into the freezer...then poke some thing down this tube to clear the blockage. Mike
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tray under the evaporator is all white plastic unit
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
do you have the panel out in the bottom of iside the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There does not seem to be a panel in the bottom only one at the back of the freezer running from top to bottom, held in by 6 screws . I have und done them and removed ,but the long panel does not want to move, it seems to be sealed and I dont want to damage the interior.I still cannot find the drain hole in tray.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok well once you have removed the shelfs and the 6 screws nothing else holding that panel in, yoiur going to have to remove it to fix your problem, make sure all the screws are out then give it a tub, it's just wedged in. dont worry if it bends a little, they are flexible enough to bend back. let me know when you have the panel off. Mike
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The panel is off and I have thawed out the ice around the bottom and I have found a hole which I haveprodded with wire. I am going to leave it overnight and then try again in the morning. Can I still call you on this callout fee.

Thanks for all theinfo so far

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hello, yes i dont see why not. mike
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good morning Mike Yes mission accomplished, hot water ran through the pipe this morning so can get back to normal duties.

Thanks once agian Terry

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
your welcome, have a nice evening :)