Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool washer Model # XXXXX How do I replace

I have a whirlpool washer Model # XXXXX How do I replace he agitator cogs. I have taken the bolt out but i cannot see how to replace the gogs. CAn you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I gather you need to replace the dogs in this correct? Part 470910 is this the assembly you need to replace?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that look like it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok do you have the agitator out all the way? is this your agitator? Part 547657or is it two piece?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do haVE the agitator out but the gogs are in the middle of the agitator and I cannot get to them. I do not know how to get the top part off the agitator off to replace the gogs.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you need to seperate the two pieces. here are the diagrams on this, I'll be back shortly , I need to look something else up. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, how to I seperate one piece from the other. I cannot see a release on one piece from the other and I cannot view the diagram very well.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
see if this video will help, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5wIN1J70-Y let me know ,thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, That video did not help because on my washer the gogs are down about 6 inches and I need to release the top part from the bottom I quess but I do not know how.?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this i'm trying to get info on to make this easier for you. you should be able to pull the two pieces appart. you may need to use a screw driver to pry this one appart.I've done this use the screw driver to pry off the center piece that hold the dogs because it did not what to separate from the rest of the agitator. this comes appart it snaps together you should be able to get it appart with a screw driver, let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, the agitator is 12 inches long and is attahed to the bottom about six inches into the agitator down a hole is where the cogs are located and on top of the cogs is a plastic cover. I cannot see how get this cover off because it is 6 inches down the agitator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the agitator should be two pieces ,i dont know what cover your talking about, unless its this one. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this just pulls off but i think you already had to take this off to get the agitator out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, this cover I took off to get to the bolt which i took out of the washer. The gogs are down the agitator 6 inhces behind a cover to hold them in place. I do not know how to get the plastic cover out to eplace the cogs.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
on the picture diagram above can you tell me what # XXXXX the cover your talking about is?