Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Whirlpool gas oven shuts itself off while baking

Customer Question

Our whirlpool gas oven shut itself off while my wife was baking today. The DSI will light the burner, but the gas valve shuts off as soon as the DSI stops firing. The broiler and range burners work fine. The stove was built in 2004 and has worked fine till now. There are not any error codes showing on the display.   
Thanks for any advise you can offer

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes

You need to check the ohms in the gas shaft valve on the back of the unit. The broil valve needs to have the same ohms as the bake valve does.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Only found one gas valve on stove. One gas inlet three gas outlets three wires go into valve, two red, one black or blue. I can follow the gas lines to the oven burner and the boiler burner. There are no other valves, switches or thermocouples.

Yes there is only one valve, the middle wire is common. The top wire is broil and the lower is bake. Check the top and middle for ohms. Then the middle and bottom.

Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I haven't fixed it yet but your answer makes sense. Will contact you if this is not the problem. Thanks for your help.

Ok take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ohms on bake & broil is the same. Reinstalled the valve with same results. The broiler still works. When bake is turned on I can hear the valve open. The DSI starts sparking and the burner lights. When the DSI stops I hear the valve close and the flame goes out. Any other suggestions?

It sounds like a bad DSI board.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there any way I can test it?

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

What were the ohms reading you got?

Bake Function

1. Set the voltmeter to read 120 VAC.

2. Program the range for the Bake operation.

3. If the top burners spark, proceed to step 4.

Touch the test leads to the J1 connector at terminals 4 (white) and 10 (black). The AC voltmeter should indicate 120 VAC. If not, check for the proper voltage at the power supply outlet, and check the main wiring harness. J1 Connector

4 (white) 10 (black)

4. Touch the test leads to the J1 connector at terminals 4 (white) and 6 (red/white). The AC voltmeter should indicate 120 VAC. If not, check the electronic oven control for proper operation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ohms was the same across both bake and broil Rx10 = 24 checked across the black & white then the white & red/white 120 volts on both. Replaced the DSI board but it was not the problem. Broiler and stove top still work fine but something is telling the gas valve to shut off or not stay open after the DSI stops sparking.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Was this test done right in the gas valve? Did you do a ohms check on the gas valve itself?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, removed valve from the stove and unhooked all wires before testing.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

You tested the wires or the gas valve?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The gas valve, not the wires.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Set that meter to a RX1 scale with no power applied. Tell me what you get.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On rx1 my meter shows 250 to 260 ohms. The lines on my dial are not separated very much in that area. That is why I answered using the rx10 scale before. I tested across the spade connectors on the gas valve with the 3 wires unplugged. No power at the valve.

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Have you put a new DSI board in yet like that other tech told you to do?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. But nothing has changed from the first time I asked the original question. Is it time for me to look for a new stove?

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

All in all I think it would be best to get another stove at least you know that you will get a warranty with it but that's my opinion.