Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Our whirlpool gas oven shut itself off while my wife was baking

Customer Question

Our whirlpool gas oven shut itself off while my wife was baking today. the DSI will light the burner but the gas valve shuts off as soon as the DSI stops fireing. the broiler and range burners work fine. the stove was built in 2004 and has worked fine till now. there are not any error codes showing on the display.   
thanks for any advise you can offer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Yo need to check the ohms in the gas safty valve on the back of the unit. The broil valve needs to have the same ohms as the bake valve does.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
only find 1 gas valve on stove. 1 gas inlet 3 gas outlets 3 wires go into valve 2 red 1 blk or blue i can follow the gas lines to the oven burner and the boiler burner. there are no other valves, switches or thermocuples.
Yest ther is only one valve the middle wire is common. The top wire is broil and the lower is bake. check the top and middle for ohms. Then the middle and bottom.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry to be so long getting back to you. was working and just now got back to the stove. haven't fixed it yet but your answer makes sence. will contact you if this is not the problem. thanks for your help.
Ok take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got the chance to test the gas valve tonight, ohms on bake & broil the same reinstalled the valve with same results. the broiler still works. when bake is turned on i can hear the valve open. the dsl starts sparking and the burner lights. when the dsl stops i hear the valve close and the flame goes out. any other sugestions?
It sounds like a bad dsi board.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there any way i can test it?
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

what were the ohms reading you gotten

Bake Function

1. Set the voltmeter to read 120 VAC.

2. Program the range for the Bake operation.

3. If the top burners spark, proceed to step 4.

Touch the test leads to the J1 connector at

terminals 4 (white) and 10 (black). The AC

voltmeter should indicate 120 VAC. If not,

check for the proper voltage at the power

supply outlet, and check the main wiring

harness.

J1 Connector

4 (white) 10 (black)

J1 Connector

4. Touch the test leads to the J1 connector at

terminals 4 (white) and 6 (red/white). The

AC voltmeter should indicate 120 VAC. If

not, check the electronic oven control for

proper operation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ohms was the same across both bake and broil Rx10 = 24
checked across the black & white then the white & red/white 120 volts on both. replaced the dsi board but it was not the problem. broiler and stove top still work fine but something is telling the gas valve to shut off or not stay open after the dsi stops sparking.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
was this test done right in the gas valve? did you do a ohms check on the gas valve itself
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes removed valve from the stove and unhooked all wires before testing.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
did you test the wires or the gas valve
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the gas valve, not the wires
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
set that meter to a RX1 scale with no power applied tell me what you get
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on rx1 my meter shows 250 to 260 ohms. the lines on my dial are not seperated very much in that area. thats why i awnsered using the rx10 scale before. i tested across the spade conecters on the gas valve with the 3 wires unpluged. no power at the valve.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
did you put a new DSI board in yet like that other tech told you to do?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
and is it working now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no nothing has changed from the first time i ask the origional question. is it time for me to look into a new stove?
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

all in all i think it would be best to get another stove at least you know that you will get a warrenty with it but thats my opinion