My Kenmore microwave model 721.63252 has stopped wrking. The light goes on, the timer works the turntable turns and it sounds like it is working but the food doesn't heat up. I wonder if it is the magnetron (whatever that is) which should still be under warranty. Sears wants $30 to send it in to be repaired and then there would be additional charges to fix what ever is broken. If it is the magnetron, they would have to replace it. If not, I should probably just buy a new microwave. Any thoughts?
Make: KenmoreModel: 721.63252
cleaned it, everything works except it doesn't heat the food.
One of the door switches is probably bad. There are 3 doot switches, look for signs of overheating.
I only see 2 door switches (if those are what hold the door closed) and there is no heating or overheating, that is the problem.
You have to remove the outer cover to access the switches, the lathes on the door are what turn them on and off.
How would I do that and what would I see if I did? What would I do to the switches? Would I be able to tell if a switch is bad? You still haven't answered my question-is this a problem with the magnetron and how do door switches affect the magnetron? Everything works except it does heat up. I can't imagine how the door switches are the problem. Please explain. Thanks
Do you hear a loud buzzing sound when it's running?
it makes the same noise it always made when it was running-nothing is different except it doesn't heat the food
That sounds like a door switch. If you take off the outer cover you will see 3 switches where the latch comes through. If you look at the switches closely you will see one that shows evidence of overheating.
I will try to figure out how to take the outer cover off
There are screws around the back edge of the cabinet. here is the link to the parts #4002 and 4003 http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=72163252300&productCategoryId=0123245&brandId=0582&modelName=MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00005&componentDescription=LATCH BOARD&documentId=P0808062&backToLink=Return to Sub Components list
there are 3 screws that I was able to remove with a Phillips head screwdriver but there are 4 additional screws which appear to require some sort of hexagonal type tool to remove and I don't have one nor do I know what to ask for in a hardware store. There must be some insider secret to this. We are getting closer. Can anyone suggest how to get the outer cover off?
I am sorry but I ahve to disagree with Dave. There are 3 switches, 2 are door and 1 isa safety switch. The safety switch is designed to check to make sure the door switches are closed. If the safety switch senses that the either of the door switches are open then it will shut off the microwave. Basically the safety switch checks that the door is shut. Now with your problem it is more than likely the magnetron. But be warned, it could also be the main control board, the high voltage transformer, the high voltage capacitor, or the high voltage diode. Now the magnetron will be under warrenty if the microwave is less than 5 years old. However, as you can see it may be hard to determine unless it is checked out all the way. With the exception of the capacitor and diode, which is the least probable cause, the other parts run around $200. So in short you if you are not 100% sure that it is the magnetron you might be in for money loss if you have it replaced.
25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.