Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my dryer is getting hot but the clothes are not drying and

Customer Question

my dryer is getting hot but the clothes are not drying and the vent does not have any debrit in it and i can not feel any lint in the whole in the back of the dryer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
you'll have to check the temperature with a thermocouple thermometer inside your drum with no clothes. The temperature should oscillate up and down from 120 degrees to 210 degrees. If it gets higher than that, then you have a vent flow issue. If it stops before 210 then you have a thermostat issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where do I get this thermocouple thermometer from and how would i check the thermostat
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
you get one from a hardware store, usually in the form of a multimeter with a thermostat attachment which costs about $100 for the set up.

As far as how you check it, you just stick the thermocouple (looks like a wire) into the drum of the dryer and shut the door
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think the electronic auto moisture sensor to detect if the clothes are dry stopped working is that easily repairable on the back of the dryer. 110.60992990 is the model number
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
it won't be that, I can assure you unless you can physically see it damaged. Open the door and look at the front of the drum area by the lint trap. There are 2 metal bars about 4 inches long. That is your moisture sensor. If it not broken or looks damaged, then it's not bad.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well it's not broken or looks damaged, But the dryer does dry using timed dry but not with the Auto moisture sensor, Is there a fuse or a an electrical component in the sensor that my be failed and can be replaced?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
No, this means that your vent is blocked. If it works on timed dry then your timer is working, the thermostat is cycling, but on the wrong thermostat. Remove the vent hose attached to the back of the dryer and run a cycle to see if the blockage is Inside your dryer or past your vent.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well we have ran it without the hose and put my arm in as far as it can go and I didnt feel anything. And there is plenty of hot air blowing out. Could there still be a block?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
possibly not, but if it still acts the same as when your hose is connected, it means the blockage would be inside the dryer itself. If you don't find a blockage inside the dryer then replace the operating thermostat.

Here is the way it works, the timer only advances when the operating thermostat clicks over and says it's hot. If your vent is clogged it won't get the heat to the operating thermostat quick enough because the heat will rise and trip a safety thermostat causing the heat to stop and never trip the operating thermostat so the timer won't finish.

If your sure the vent is clear, then replace the operating thermostat.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We ran the dryer without the hose connected and still did not find a blockage. We ran it on timed dry for 90 min and it got hot and the clothes dried. However, it still does not work on the Auto moisture sensor and the sensor is not broken or damaged. On the Auto moisture sensor the dryer gets hot but does not dry the clothes. That was my original question and we still have not figured that out
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will pay you. I really feel like the answer did not get answered. Then when i tried to get more info from you, you made me wait September 12 2009 at 11:35 PM (12 hours and 19 minutes and 45 seconds later) I don't think that was fair to make me wait so long and still not answer my question.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
you do not have to. That is completely up to you. The sensor is not your problem as I have said, I wish I could explain to you why the sensor can't possibly be the problem but it's technical and long winded and in the end, if your unit is drying on timed dry but not on auto dry, the sensor isn't the problem if the timer is still advancing to the end.