Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 80 Series Kenmore Gas Dryer, Model 110.72812101.

I have a 80 Series Kenmore Gas Dryer, Model 110.72812101. Runs, but no heat. I replaced the thermal fuse but that was not it. How can I check the igniter and or gas coils?
Help, the wife wants dry clothes!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
Hi, this is Bryan, take a look at this diagram, part # XXXXX is a cap on the front left side of the machine remove this cap and start the machine, look thru the hole and tell me if you see the igniter glow. let me know ,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took the dryer apart and can switch it on. the igniter glows and the burners kicks on, runs for a couple of minutes then shuts off. Motor still runs
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok thats a good sign. is this still connect to the vent system? there can be several reasons for this. if your vent system is clogged at all it will shut the burner off, try running this without the vent connected,.if it does the same thing then you either have a bad high limit thermostat or bad gas valve coils. I think you need to change the gas coils thuogh, heres a picture of the burner assembly showing the gas coils, Gas Dryer Gutsthis is the most common cause for your issue, these get weak and cant hold the valve open. heres where you can get the coils for around$20.00 , heres what they look like, Coils part#(NNN) NNN-NNNN$19.50 - Click Image to Closethese are electrolux coils which are the same as the kenmore ones but are cheaper (cost wise) change these and you should be all set, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
where's the high limit thermostat? Is it the thermal cut-off part no.3977394?
where is the cross reference for part nos. kenmore vs. electrolux vs. frigidaire?
Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
Kenmore doesnt make anything they have all there machines and parts made by other company's . the way Sears sells these is to techs only the part #
694540 for the two terminal coil is $29.95 and the other coil is # XXXXX and is the three wire coil, $29.85, but the set I showed you is allot less money and are exactly the same but if you want to order the expensive ones thats up to you , you can order these @ if you wish but they are not any different from the other ones just more money, we use these on all machines and they work great. anyway thats up to you, hope this helps, thanks Bryan. the high limit thermostat is located on this diagram as part # XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to see if I can find the coils locally so I can get the thing up and running. Sears Parts store said 7 to 10 days special order. I have some other local suppliers that may be able to help.

Another question - does the igniter stay lit the whole time or just to fire the gas flame and then it shuts down? What does the radiant sensor do? Could there be anything wrong with the radiant sensor?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok the igniter goes off after it lights and the radiant sensor senses the flame once its lit the igniter stays off until it needs to relight again, the sensor is working correctly and the igniter is working correctly, I'm 90 % suer you need to change the coils, this is the most common reason for you problem. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX