Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Dear Bryan Now I have the temperature sensor assembly,

Customer Question

Dear Bryan:

Now I have the temperature sensor assembly, so my question is how do I disconnect the old sensor and connect the new sensor? I have no idea what I need to take apart or remove. It looks like it will be simple enough to unclip the old sensor and clip in the new if I can get access to the right part of the oven. Thanks in advance. --Karen
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

wow that was fast how did you get it so fast?? anyway there should be two 1/4" screws holding the sensor in the oven on the back wall. shut the power off before removing this, pull the sensor toward you and the wire will come out with it, there will be a plug on the wire . sometimes though these can be tough to get through the hole (they get caught) hopefully yours doesnt, then just unplug the old sensor and plug the new one in and put the screws back in. if you cant get the plug through the hole there are two options, 1 remove the oven from the wall (which can be difficult) or two cut the wires and use the caps provided with the sensor and wirecap the wires back together. one wire then the other ,it doesnt mater which two you cap together. if by chance theres no screws holding this from inside the oven then you must remove the oven to get at the sensor. hopefully this helps you, thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live about 4 miles from a Sears parts store, and they had it in stock. I had already tried the "gentle tug" approach and the connector stuck behind the back oven wall. I'll try the "remove oven from cabinet" approach next. Wish me luck! You'll hear from me soon--hopefully reporting success rather than asking more questions.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok be carefull and shut the breaker off before pulling oven out, what i usually do is get something around the same hight as the bottom of the oven and just pull it out far enough to rest it on that then change the sensor. there are probably screws going into the cabinet on the sides when you open the oven door. these hold the oven in. good luck and let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Bryan:

When I finally removed the oven from the wall (truly a monumental struggle) and removed the back panel, I noticed that the insulation around the back of the appliance bulb fixture was burned (charred and melted), which seemed very ominous. A fire is not what I had in mind! Guess I'll be returning the sensor assembly and buying a new oven. Too bad. Thanks for your help!

Karen

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that, we see that allot if the oven is older. best wishes,regards Bryan