John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

The comustion air blower (fan) on our Monitor 441 heate

Customer Question

The comustion air blower (fan) on our Monitor 441 heater will not kick on. Why?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
May I please have the brand name and the model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Monitor Vented Heating system; model: Monitor 441... FYI misspelled combustion! This really isn't a kitchen appliance. I need a heating tech or???
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
What kind of ignition system does it have, standing pilot, glow coil, or electronic spark?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, John, I cannot find the answer in the operators manual. But I think it is electronic. The heat comes on but the fan is necessary for the heat to be 'pushed out' into the room. There is something about a "fuse" in the operator's manual but says "get a tech...."
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

This isn't a fuse caused problem. If the ignition system is electronic, it's most likely that the pilot light isn't lighting off. The spark is supposed to light the pilot flame. The presence of the pilot flame is then detected by the ignition module, which in turn start the combustion fan. After the air flow is detected by an air flow switch, then and only then, will the burner light off. I think the pilot orifice is plugged, allowing no gas for the spark to light. The pilot assembly needs to be removed and cleaned. When it's reinstalled, check to make sure the spark is about 1/2 inch long and light blue in color.

The pilot has to light off, before anything else can happen.

Post back to me, if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
John, what do you mean by "lighting off"?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
I guess producing a flame is a better term. Lighting off is a boiler operator's term.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We feel the problem "is overheat prevention system". The manual states "a thermostatic switch will automatically stop the flow of kerosene and extinquish the flame. The burner status indicators blink." The manual gives three (3) steps to restore operation. I am going to check the front of the heater for obstructions by removing any dust or other matter that may be covering the burner chamber and heat exchangers inside the heater. Next, I will be checking the circulation fan. Finally, the flue pipe outside. After these steps are completed I will again contact you.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
At your service.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No orifices clogged. Heater ignites and burns blue. Fan is suppose to kick on within a period of heating up time. Does not. Heat is thus trapped inside the heater unit. DANGEROUS
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
The combustion air fan should come on within 30 seconds after the burner lights. The condition is dangerous, as you say. I suggest you have a trained service person look at it to find why the fan isn't turning on. Sorry I'm not there to help you.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
My apology. I said combustion fan, when I actually meant circulation fan.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Thoughts about this problem are coming to me at random. Have the service person check the operation of the step relay.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, John, I appreciate your thoughts. Finding a service person is somewhat daunting. I live in a remote area and service personnel are either fishing if the waters aren't to fast; or may be hunting if the seasons are open; or, it's too nice of day or ...Seriously, I think I'm in deep doo-doo and a cold winter!