Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE JGBP30 gas range and the oven takes a long time

I have a GE JGBP30 gas range and the oven takes a long time to heat up. Additionally when I start the oven the flame from the lower burner tube flutters in and out.   The flame appears a lot weaker than the one I see coming out of the broiler burner tube.   It is natural gas and the flame is soft blue in color with no orange tips.
there are two reasons this can happen , the first is the more common and I believe this is your problem, 1 , your igniter is weak and is not opening the valve all the way, (most likely) two you have a bad valve itself. (rare) there is a way to test this since you have a seperate broil on top right? switch the igniters and see if the botXXXXX XXXXXghts correctly then. you use the oven allot more than the broil therefor the igniter burns out quicker, heres what the igniter looks like. Part 1990if changing it makes it work correctly then you need to change it. be extremly carefull with these they are delicate and can be broken easy. that should take care of your problem. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the help. I took out the ignitor and I am just going to replace that. It looks like a lot of work to switch the two ignitors. I'll go with your experience and replace the one i'm having problems with. Thanks again.
thank you and you can come back if you need more help just leave the question open, well wishes, Bryan