Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

my scotsman ice machine is running but its not making ice -

my scotsman ice machine is running but its not making ice - the room isn't warm as it usually is when things are normal - any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

Is the compressor running and now the air that is coming out of the condenser is no longer warm?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think the compressor's running - the unit goes "on" when I plug it in but its not producing warm air - I don't think any heat exchange is occurring.
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

That is a bad sign. If the compressor is running, you should have warm air coming out of your condenser. Can you verify if your compressor is running by touching it and feel if the vibration you are feeling is coming from the compressor and not from the fan. Find the smaller coppper tube that comes out of the compressor that goes to the condenser coil , Just be careful, feel if it is hot? You will have a smaller tube that is sealed and not connected to any thing. Do not use this tube.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The coils are warm but the air is not. The copper line going into the coil is warm but certainly not hot maybe 10-20 degrees above room temperature.
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.
Ok..This is a bad sign. The unit is undercharged with refrigerant. You could have a leak somewhere in the system.

This is no longer a DIY so if you are calling a tech, let him find first the leak, repair it before putting in an exact amount of the right type of refrigerant in the system. Do not let him just add refrigerant with out looking ofr the leak. The problem would just keep on returning.

That explains why it does slowly make ice for the past weeks and now would no longer make ice at all.

Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .