Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our Kenmore Electric Wall Oven (Model XXXXXXXXXX is about

Our Kenmore Electric Wall Oven (Model XXXXXXXXXX is about 18 years old. It's not a new problem (I've noticed problems with recipes for at least 8 months--or longer since I wasn't cooking much back then), but I just realized that the oven is not heating to the temperature setting. Decided to troubleshoot yesterday, and bought a thermometer: at 300 degree oven setting, the thermometer read 175 degees; at 350 degrees, 225 degrees; 400, 275; 450, 275; 500, 300; and at 550, 350. According to the manual, I can only adjust the setting by +/- 35 degrees. (Also set the self-cleaning cycle for 2 hours, and got an F2 code about 1.5 hours into the cycle. Had to throw the circuit breaker to clear the error.) Questions: (1) What are the possible problems? (2) Is this likely a major or minor repair? Would it be more cost effective to repair or replace the oven? (3) Do I need to call a service technician or is there any chance this could be a DIY repair? Thank you! --Karen
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
let me check that code for you, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok your model # XXXXX come through can you send it again and this time put a space between each # ? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Model 9 1 1 4 0 4 2 5 9 0

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
F2 Oven temperature above specifications 8-pin connector oven temperature sensor to the Electronic Range Control (ERC)
well from what i'm getting on this code I believe your oven temperature sensor is bad. this is also called the temerature probe. this is the cheaper of the parts to replace, the other problem could be the erc. (electronic range control) this is the sensor, Part 252618it runs around $78.00 thye erc is no longer available, so your only shot is to try the probe. part #
WB21X5301, you may want to consider a new oven. thats all i can do for you. regards, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your speedy response on the holiday--while appliances are still on sale. Last question: Is the temperature probe the item projecting from the upper left back of the oven that looks like an air speed sensor on a plane wing? The parts diagram on the Sears parts web site was such poor resolution it was useless.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes it is. I hope if you decide to change this it works, allot of the parts for your oven are discontinued, well wishes and happy holiday. regards, Bryan