Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi. I have a Whirlpool Duet dryer, and as I start up the machine,

Hi. I have a Whirlpool Duet dryer, and as I start up the machine, it runs normally for about 5-10 seconds, then sound funny, starts to smell like something is burning, then stops.

I need help. I am handy, and think I can fix whatever the problem, if I know what it is.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
sounds like the motor is overheating ,let me check that, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me the model #?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Model #: YGEW9200LQ0

TYPE: CADT-ELE-2306024-EL54

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
your motor is overheating Part 158this has a thermal overload on it and shuts the motor down when it overheats, you need to replace the motor and clean the inside of the machine real good, this link will give you all the diagrams,!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=%22YGEW9200LQ0&pop=flush the motor runs around $130.00 on most sites but you can get this for around $118.00 @
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a way to test the motor to be sure before buying a new one?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
no not really, if this shuts down and your not able to start it again for 5 minutes or so the motor is bad. after 5 minutes the nmotor overload will reset and it will start again for 15 or 20 seconds. then it repeats, this is a bad motor, after this shuts off if you listen carefully you will hear a faint click ,this is the overload reseting. you can try taking the machine appart and vacuming all the lint off the motor and inside the cabinet and see if it runs then, other than that you need to replace the motor, we do allot of these wishes and regards, Bryan