Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

the freezer works but the rest of the fridge does not get cold

Customer Question

the freezer works but the rest of the fridge does not get cold .
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
do you hear the fan running in the freezer section? is there any frost buildup on the back panel inside the freezer? let me know thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i hear the fan in the freezer section working and no ice buidup. i plugged it in only yesterday

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok what you should do is remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the coils, you should have an even frost pattern across all the coils. if only a few coils have frost then you are low on freon. also get a thermometer and check the temps. in both the freezer and the fresh food section, the freezer should be between 0-8 degrees and fresh food section should be around 36-38 degrees. also make sure the fan next to the compressor in the back is running. these sometimes stop and the compressor overheats and shuts down to early, let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can hear the fan going in the freezer and it is cold there but no circulation to the lower part of the fridge. also the fridge lite is not working. do you think this has anything to do with the working of the fridge
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I dont believe so. check the frost pattern on the coils, if its frozen up allot on the coils the fan cant push the air down to the fresh food section, also what have you got the two dials set at?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
in the preferred setings
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok well take the back panel off in the freezer and check the frost pattern, also while you have it off check the vent going down to the fresh food section for obstructions ( ice, or anything else that may be blocking it) if the fans running it should be pushing the cold air down to the lower part of the refrigerator.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i have taken the back panel of inside the freezer and the bottom row of coils had ice on them and the fan is working good and do not see any restrictions to the bottom section of the fridge
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok so only the bottom coils are frosted? is this solid ice or frost? if the top half of the coils are not frosted and the bottom row is real frosted up then you are low on freon and the bottom row is clogged up and wont let the fan blow the cold air down the vent.( its like putting a box fan agaisnt the wall you wont get any air because the wall stops the flow. ) the fan cant push it through the coils.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the bottom row has a little frost on them.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you need freon, most likely this has to be checked for a leak also. you need to call someone to do this though, it take special tools, sorry, regards XXXXX XXXXX Bryan