RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  TECHNICIAN AND TEACHER
19031375

We have a Kenmore stackable washer/dryer, Model #417.98702891,

We have a Kenmore stackable washer/dryer, Model #417.98702891, Serial #XE00313145 that does not heat. Took front cover off and voltage tested okay, were is the heater element located to test and replace if necessary?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
Heater assembly, with housing
Part #NNN-NN-NNNN
Quantity Add to cart
See estimated delivery date
This is the heater assembly, you access it from the front of the unit by removing the front panel and the drum assembly, it is a MAJOR job to get to! Th check it you would remove the leaads going to it AFTERT UNPLUGGING THE UNIT! And use a volt ohm meter to check the element for continunity. GOOD LUCK
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Understand, where are the leads located in order to check the continunity of the element and what is the estimated labor to install if it tests bad?

Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
you MAY be able to access them from the rear of the machine, to be honest i do not remewmber and the schematic does not show it. The labor to install is around $150.00 plus the travel/trip charge is one is charged. It is a miserable job and you need 3 hands!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Russ,

Inasmuch as I'm an electrical contractor and pretty handy when it comes to electrical items, reluctantly I may have to call a service tech to repair because I didn't get enough info to do it myself. Can you be more specific, thanks and regards. Art

Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
I am not sure whAT YOU NEED, PLEASE EXPLAIN AND i WILL TRY TO HELP. The checking of the lelment is as i saud, isolate the leads foing to it, check the elment for continunity. If bad, disassemble the machine by removing the dryer front panel, the top and remove the belt and then the drum from the unit by kifting slightly and pulling it to you. The element ios fastened from the back so you have to hold the front of the element at the same time as unscrewing the element bolts from the back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Forget it, you have been of little to no help!

Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
I asked what help you needed and this reply " <p>Forget it, you have been of little to no help!"</p><p>certainly is not what I would expect from a person I am trying to help. I told you how to access the element and how to check it! IF you were to be specific as to what you need to know, I will help you! You NEVER told me what you need to know!</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Andy,

Please check the above string of messages to see why I'm not over impressed with Russ. I would glady pay for his help if he would go back to my original questions and get me a informative answer and not another request for info. Perhaps you may also want to read his info requests 2 and 3 then look into spell check for him. Thanks and regards, Art.

Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.

assembly, with housing
Part #NNN-NN-NNNN
Quantity Add to cart
See estimated delivery date
This is the heater assembly, you access it from the front of the unit by removing the front panel and the drum assembly, it is a MAJOR job to get to! Th check it you would remove the leads going to it AFTERT UNPLUGGING THE UNIT! And use a volt ohm meter to check the element for continuity. GOOD LUCK

HERE IS MY ORIGIONAL POST! IT SUPPLIES PART NUMBER AND CHECK METHOD ALONG WITH COMMON SENSE ABOUT UNPL,UGING THE UNIT. AS FAR AS SPELL CHECK GOES, GEE I'M SORRY I HAVE CARPAL TUNNEL AND HAVE A HARD TIME TYPING WITH A BRACE ON MY WRIST!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Russ,

Sorry about your carpel tunnel, but you must know how to copy and paste because this is your first reply. Your next one said that I could access the heater leads not in the front but MAYBE in the rear of the machine and being honest you didn't remember. I had a one line diagram also which was no help to me either and maybe I was expecting that you had more resources at your disposal. Thanks for your help anyway, Art.