Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My freezer, which is stored in the garage, is now building

My freezer, which is stored in the garage, is now building up frost on foods inside of it. The seal has pulled away from the base of the door. Is the seal all I need to replace and can I do that easily by myself or should I let a professional do it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well sometimes these seals can be a pain to replace but I can give you some pionters on how to do it. if you get me the make and model# XXXXX will check the gasket for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Frigidare Ultrafreeze on the outside, Electrolux Model # XXXXX on the tag inside. The temp alarm is going off as we speak/type but it is running and appears to be cold still. The setting is on 4 out of 7.

Is it only the seal that I need to take care of? If so what would labor costs usually be on this...I would hate to mess it up doing it myself in the middle of summer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well a service man will charge you around $65.00 plus labor to do the job and of course you need to pay for the part, Part 446558these are not cheap around $82.00 so you looking at probably $170.00 for someone to replace this for you, the problem with doing this yourself is these never fit right because they fold it up in a box and you need to put it in hot water for a while until it softens up enough to install. this can sometimes be a pain in the #$@, excuse my french. I believe though if the gasket isnt seating right this is causing the frost and the alarm to go off. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In your experience will the replacement of the seal fix the issue or could there be some other issue I could address as well?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
usually when you get frost on the food in a freezer its from outside moist air getting into the freezer, this also causes the freezer to warm up a bit, thus the beeping. I believe the gasket will remedy the situation, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just measured the distance from the door to the unit on the top and bottom and found that there is a 1/2" bigger distance at the bottom. Could I have warped my door somehow? If I apply a lot of pressure I can close most of the gap (within an 1/8 of a inch). When I do this the gap that appears to be due to the gasket disappers and it fits flush again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok there is one thing you can try. unloosen but dont remove the screws that hold the gasket on the door. they will be under the gasket on the inside and also hold the inside door liner, once you have the all loose tryn putting you knee against the door and bend it back into place , the reason i have you loosen the screws is so you wont crack the inside door liner while trying this. dont ben to hard thogh you will throw it out of wack the other way . just do a little bit at a time until it seats good all the way around. then thighten the screws back up. Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.