John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

why wont my washing machine spin DURING THE WASH CYCLE, but

why wont my washing machine spin DURING THE WASH CYCLE, but will spin when its draining?

During the wash cycle the agitator moves back and forth to make sure they get clean.

It isn't supposed to spin until the rinse water is to be removed from the clothes by centrifugal force of the spinning drum.

If this answer helps you, please click the accept button.

More questions? Please post back to me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok, what I meant was the agitator does not work during wash cycle or rinse( didnt know that it was called an agitator).

thank you
The agitator isn't supposed to work during the rinse cycle, but if it does'nt work during the wash cycle, the gear box needs replacing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, it doesnt work during the wash cyle. What is a gear box, and do they need to be special ordered? and also where is it located?

The gear box drives both the agitater in wash cycle and the drum in spin cycle. It sitsdirectly below the agitator inside the machine. It's an expensive part, and it's difficult to replace. It can only be done by a trained service person, unless you know someone who's done it previously.

It's probably time for a different machine, but it's not a bad I idea to get a phone estimate.

I never buy a new machine. Thrift stores like St. VdeP, or Goodwill have perfectly suitable machines at their stores. I've always had good luck with anything I buy there.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The machine is only 3 1/2 years old. Isnt this too soon to break for a GE? Also, I do alott of laundry....2 loads a day. Do you think the costs would out weigh getting another machine?
Of course, that's your call. It will help you to call a GE authorized service company for a phone estimate. The GE website has a dealer locator, I think. Yellow pages in the phone book are often useful in locating a repair person.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much