Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Hi, Our whirlpool dryer has a burning smell, we removed

Customer Question

Our whirlpool dryer has a burning smell, we removed every panel, and cleaned out all of the lint, and cleaned the hose coming out of the dryer, and the lint in the area where the hose was attached to the wall....
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 years ago.

Customer/p>

Do you still have the smell if you run the unit in an air/ fluff cycle?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
air fluff cycle?

Air cycle may say no heat this is on your timer settings

Like timed ,Auto Regular cycle ,Air/ cool down

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a cool down cycle, would that be the one you are talking about?
that will be fine run the unit for 3-4 min. and see if the smell is still there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I will do that. Just tried it for a few second, and it did not have a smell, but will try it on the air fluff setting, I just found it, and see what happens...
ok will hold here!!!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you familiar with our model?

yes Been with Whirlpool for 15 years.

I also Teach a Whirlpool certified Appliance technician course, at local College.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, you asked about the air fluff cycle, like, do you have one? so, I was wondering. Just ran the machine for 4 minutes on the air fluff, and no burning smell, so what do I need to do now?
now lets use a heated dry cycle , (timed) run it for 3-4 min.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, don't want to burn down my house, though. Could a have a fire result if I ran it with the burning smell?

it was probably lint on the heating element .

Which is why a dryer should be cleaned about once every two years or so!!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What? Could I talk to someone else? I am not interested in being scolded, what is this? you didn't even answer my question about a fire starting.....

Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
I do not feel that you were scolded by Whrlp Master Tech, he was just informing you that the lint needs to be cleaned out of the dryer every couple of years. The chance of a fire starting is like the chance of an earthquake happening at the same time. SO after cleaning everything up there is some dust/lint laying on the heating element and will need to burn off which may take about 30 minutes for it to happen. This is normal if you cleaned the unit well,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Here is a thought,

What good does it do to tell someone what they SHOULD HAVE done? Hindsight is always 20/20. I asked a question, and the response was "That is why you should clean it out every two years!!!!!!!!"

What the hell is that about?

That does sound like scolding to me, and if you don't feel that way, that's your opinion, but I do.

And telling me that you don't agree with how I feel serves no purpose other to bring on feelings of defensiveness.

Is that what your company is about?