built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer
19717507

My dishwasher started the wash cycle but stopped after filling

Customer Question

My dishwasher started the wash cycle but stopped after filling the bottom with water. What should I do now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer,
Myself and the other Experts are anxious to help you,
If we could please have the full make, model number and age
of the appliance that you have posted your question about?
Along with any other info that you may think is important
that you did not list in your original post to us. We will
be more then happy to try to assist you.

Built1950
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not home right now so I don't have that information. Thanks, anyway.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,
That's OK. You can check it when you get home and get back to me.

Built1950
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll do that. Thanks.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Anytime.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let me know when you- built1950 - are back online so that we can continue to diagnose my dishwasher problem and I can pay for the service. Thanks.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Good morning.
Did you find the ID plate with the make and model numbers?

Built1950
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. Model # XXXXX

GE

Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,
This unit has a dial on the right side. Did you set it the way you normally do, at start or light wash?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I always use the short wash cycle and set it there. That's when the water started, heated up and then stopped doing anything further.

Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Have you touched it since?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Too many times. I tried again yesterday. Nada. It's just sitting there with water in the bottom.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
OK
We have to check the power. Turn the breaker off for a minute and back on again, then try the unit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did flip the breaker switch yesterday. Still no response. I get the click sound and hear the timer on the dishwasher when I turn the knob. However, I did not turn the breaker off for a full minute.

Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
OK
If you've done that and it doesn't work we have to get technical with it, alright? First we have to check for power to the unit. Remove the screws to the kickplate and open the electrical junction box.
built1950, Handyman
Experience: Appliance Installer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm at work again, so can't get to that part yet. Why don't I just pay you for your service up to this point. I don't know if I'll be able to get on my computer when I get home so that I can continue this discussion. If I am able to get on, I'll sign in. But if not, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
You can contact me anytime I'll be glad to help. FYI...you will need to confirm power to the unit. If you have power at the unit junction box then the problem is in the unit.

Thank you,
Built1950