Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

I have a standard Estate/Whirlpool top load washing machine.

Customer Question

I have a standard Estate/Whirlpool top load washing machine. I started a load recently and it filled with water but nothing else started. The outlet is working fine so I took apart the upper control panel to see if a fuse was blown - but I can't seem to find any fuses up top. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

Can we have the model number, If you have stated it in your first post, disregard this question and just post back then I can see it. There seems to be a problem with the site that we can not see the model number right away.

Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.
See, Now I saw your model number but still it is not the right one. You could find it at the rim of the liner of the tub. As you lift the lid, it should be there at the rim far from your side.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm at work and don't have the model number currently - I was hoping that you could help me start to diagnose the problem without the model number today (as I am not looking for a part number yet). I am guessing that it is some type of fuse or switch - do you have any suggestions that I can check on tonight and reply to you tonight/tomorrow (including model number) and we can proceed from there? Thanks.

Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

What I am thinking is the water level pressure switch. On all old models, this switch transfers the power of the water solenoid to the agitation cycle. It senses that the water has reached the desired level, cut out the power to the solenoids and bring the power to the motor to start agitation.

Then on a little bit newer models like yours, the power going to the motor now pass by the lid switch too. So it would be best to check also the lid switch. Use a resistance meter to test for continuity of contacts.

Expert:  Francis replied 7 years ago.

I will log off for a while and will be back after 6 hours. Just leave your question if you have one and I will answer them as soon as I get back.