william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

My Maytag Neptune MDE6700AYW front load dryer (electric) wont

Customer Question

My Maytag Neptune MDE6700AYW front load dryer (electric) won't dry. The dryer operates and blows. The air is not warm/hot. I suspect the heater element needs to be replaced. The local repairman can't come for 3 days. I'd like to fix it now. How do I open up teh dryer, check the element, and replace if necessary?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

does this happen with all the cycles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, we tried all the cycle settings on the dryer.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

Front Panel Removal

1. Disconnect power supply to unit.

2. Remove Top Cover.

3. Remove Console.

4. Remove four screws attaching Front Panel to dryer.

5. Remove two screws in the door area.

6. Pull Front Panel forward and disconnect the Interior

Light harness.

7. Lift the Front Panel off the three tabs across the

bottom and remove.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
PLease provide more detail on "Remove Console". does the console have 4 screws through plastic tabs that I remove? I removed them, but I am not sure what to do to remove the panel without breaking it. Which way do I pull or lift?
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
did you remove the 2 screws in the door area
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, i removed the 4 screws above the console. The 4 screws on the front panel, two on the dor hinge, 2 on the door clasp (where it closes - opposite side of the hinge). There are not screws left on the front to remove.

The top console is loose at the top. It easily hinges forward about 1 inch. It seems to be attached to the top of the front panel.

I have tried to pull up on the front panel but nothing happens.

I tried to pry on the side for the front panel to pull it out. It moved a little, but not much progress.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

you want your service manuel for your machine it has pictures too

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you provide the service manual or m I supposed to have it?
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
why you sure can hang on and ill get it for you ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you pulling my leg?
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

here it is what do you mean pulling your leg?

http://servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16025911.pdf

william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This information will help me tremendously! I went to the services matters web site and found a bulletin on the console removal that also helped. Thanks.
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
thats good good luck to you your welcome and thank-you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
William,

I came home from work with the manuals in hand, and the technical bulletin for removing the console. I read the tb. I tried to follow the directions -- and I snapped two of the tabs off the console! Argh. Oh well.

I got the heating element out and found the element was broken. I'll get another and replace it tomorrow.

Dave
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.
did you look on page 19 when you did this?