Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

I have a Bosch dishwasher, model SHU53E, and I suspect the

Customer Question

I have a Bosch dishwasher, model SHU53E, and I suspect the motor has stopped working. I start it, water comes in but nothing else happens. It cycles, pops open the soap dispenser but nothing sprays the water or moves it inside the dishwasher. The dishes come out dry, dirty and the soap is sitting at the bottom of the dishwasher.   If it is the motor, can I buy it and install it? Thank you for your time. By the way, even though I've had the dishwasher for four years, it's used no more than once a month (single girl who eats out a lot).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 4 years ago.

Run this test program and see what happens.

To start test program, press and hold both SCRUB WASH and DELICATE/ECONO program buttons, then turn unit on by pressing ON/OFF button. Initially, control module version # XXXXX be displayed (e.g./ "21" = version 1 with jumper). When wash program buttons are released, lights above them will flash. To end test program, press ON/OFF button.

To check each program indicator light, press its button. To check Cycle Countdown display, Refill Rinse Agent light and REGULAR WASH light, press REGULAR WASH button (press Delay Start button to test Cycle Countdown display alone). Cycle Countdown display will show "88" when REGULAR WASH button is pressed and "8h" when Delay Start button is pressed.

To start testing, press both the SCRUB WASH and DELICATE/ECONO buttons a second time. When testing has ended, Cycle Countdown display will show a fault using codes below. If more than one fault occurs, code numbers will be added together, (e.g./ "6" = faults 2 + 4).

0 = No faults detected 2 = Heating fault 8 = NTC (temperature sensor) fault

1 = Aqua Sensor ("Sensotronic") fault 4 = Filling fault F = Filling fault (display occurs during wash, not test)

To check for heater, high limit or flow switch problems, start testing until heating starts. Using a meter with a current coil, measure current going into dishwasher. If current is ~ 11 A, then heater, high limit and flow switch are OK. If current stays at ~ 1.5-2 A, then heater, high limit or flow switch are faulty.

If water level switch (f1) has failed (opened), display will show fault code "4" and unit will continually fill and drain where testing won't be completed. If flow switch (e5) has failed (opened), display will show "0", water won't heat (to 150ºF) and water won't stop circulating. If NTC probe (f2/f4) has failed (opened), display will show fault code "8" immediately and testing will end shortly after water has started circulating.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,

I don't think you read anything I submitted. If you had at least read the model of my machine, you'd realize I don't have any buttons on my dishwasher other than start/stop and on/off -- all other settings are dial settings. Plus, I don't have any type of display where numbers can be displayed. I can't perform the test you suggest so am still without any options. Are you able to offer something that pertains to my situation or do you simply see that I have a Bosch and offer some textbook response? I do appreciate your time but you are wasting mine.

Does the motor make any sounds at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tom. When I turn the machine on and press a selection to run, the DW makes a noise. Difficult to explain but it could be what is heating the water, it's almost like a low sounding grinding noise. Then once that's complete, a bit of water comes into the machine but nothing else happens inside. The soap dispenser eventually opens but the soap just sits at the bottom and doesn't get agitated inside the DW. I know this is likely the worst description and do appreciate any and all comments.
How much water does it get?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for not being able to respond quicker, my DW is at home and I'm at work with my questions. I would say the bottom fills up with about an inch to an inch and a half of water. Once the initial low sounding grinding is complete, then it's essentially silent until the soap dispenser pops open then a bit more low sounding grinding. The water is warm, by the way.
It may not be getting enough water.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This doesn't seem to be working, I think I'll just have a technician come to my house. It's too difficult to get the answers we both seem to need. Thank you for your responses but this isn't working out.