built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

I cannot get my freezer to freeze. Everything has defrosted

I cannot get my freezer to freeze. Everything has defrosted and the frige is not cold. the freezer is at -2 which is what the book suggest, but I have tried it at all levels as well as the frige. I have the four door with the two small compartments at the bottom. It is not making ice under the circumstances, of course.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

Is the fridge working at all.Can you hear the compressor and the fan going in the back.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is a slight humm. The lights are on in the frige and freezer and the lights are on on the computer panel
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
Your four compartment fridge has compressor and four evaporators, one for each drawer. You didn't give us the age of the unit but a 255 model has a few years on it. The fact that you have no cold in any of your compartments coupled with the humming sound points to a failed compressor. Changing out a compressor is a job for a CFC certified tech. Wish I had better news.

Built1950
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't believe this is the problem. I have only had this frige installed for not even a year. I purchased it earlier brand new but stored it as purchased fro Lowes. But I will pay for your previous answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hopefully you got my reply. Let me know if I hit the button for your payment.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,
No ACCEPT yet. If the only reason you don't think it's the compressor is that it's new then answer this; did you ever buy something that was bad right away? I have. Consider that if it were an electrical failure and not cooling then there would be no hum. If it were a thermostatic expansion valve then only one compartment would fail (there are four).
In this case the first thing I would do is check the compressor. Wish I had better news.

Built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience: Appliance Installer