built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

I cannot get my freezer to freeze. Everything has defrosted

I cannot get my freezer to freeze. Everything has defrosted and the frige is not cold. the freezer is at -2 which is what the book suggest, but I have tried it at all levels as well as the frige. I have the four door with the two small compartments at the bottom. It is not making ice under the circumstances, of course.

Hi thanks for the question.

Is the fridge working at all.Can you hear the compressor and the fan going in the back.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is a slight humm. The lights are on in the frige and freezer and the lights are on on the computer panel
Your four compartment fridge has compressor and four evaporators, one for each drawer. You didn't give us the age of the unit but a 255 model has a few years on it. The fact that you have no cold in any of your compartments coupled with the humming sound points to a failed compressor. Changing out a compressor is a job for a CFC certified tech. Wish I had better news.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't believe this is the problem. I have only had this frige installed for not even a year. I purchased it earlier brand new but stored it as purchased fro Lowes. But I will pay for your previous answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hopefully you got my reply. Let me know if I hit the button for your payment.
Hi again,
No ACCEPT yet. If the only reason you don't think it's the compressor is that it's new then answer this; did you ever buy something that was bad right away? I have. Consider that if it were an electrical failure and not cooling then there would be no hum. If it were a thermostatic expansion valve then only one compartment would fail (there are four).
In this case the first thing I would do is check the compressor. Wish I had better news.

built1950, Handyman
Experience: Appliance Installer