Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

How do I change the belt on my Maytag washer

Customer Question

How do I change the belt on my Maytag washer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

Pull the unit away from the wall and lean it back. You will see the belt and the pulleys on the bottom. If it is not spinning, it will probably need a thrust bearing kit installed. Look for a melted plastic piece on the middle pulley. I have included a picture of the assembly to help you out. The thrust bearing kit is number 24 in the pic and the part number is XXXXX It is not a super hard replacement but, if the belt doesn't help and the middle part is melted, it is your only choice. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The belt seems to be intact. Is there any other reason why the washer will not empty after rinsing?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

So it will not drain. That is different. Is the tub spinning at all?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No but I hear a humming like its straining to spin the tub. Sometimes I can just turn the dial and close the lid again and it will start to spin and sometimes it will just sit unit I play with the dial.
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

If the pump is draining when it does spin then it definitely sounds like the thrust bearing kit on your unit. This kit will seize up and will not release the brake package sometimes. It is a design flaw on most of the Maytag units that were built this way. This will have to be replaced in order to get you unit functioning correctly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this something that a professional has to do?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

No. If you are fairly handy and can follow the instructions in the bag, you can do it. No reason to pay a tech 100+ dollars to do it for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome. Have a great day!