Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

MTB1953AR. Frig not cold, back of freezer frozen. I turned

MTB1953AR. Frig not cold, back of freezer frozen. I turned defrost timer clockwise til compressor shut down, 21 minutes later it came back on. I removed the rear panel of freezer an checked heater element for continuity and it was fine. I must be close, please help my ice cream is much too soft. What do I do next.
Hello I am here to assist you. First you said you tested the heater and got 0 ohms? Also what type of buildup on your coils? Was it more like a frost buildup or ice buildup?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I tested the heater it was a completed circuit, yes 0 the meter moved all the way to 0. The build up was like frost not ice.
Okay, does your fridge seem to run all the time that you have noticed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it seems to run all the time. I checked the timer defrost and the compressor came back on in 21 to 25 minutes but it does not seem to shut off. It is running right now.
Okay, look in the back top middle of your fridge and you will see the damper assembly. Check to see if that is open or closed or what. If you can't see it, feel around there for any air coming through. Also what is your fridge and freezer temperature knobs set at?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the damper and there was air moving freely to my hand. Both settings were set to "4" the mid setting. I turned the frsh food to "off & the comp. kicked off. I turned the freezer control to 7 (highest) & the Comp. kicked back on.

Okay, do you hear the fan in the back of the freezer running?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, fan in freezer is runing just fine.

Okay, what it sounds like to me is your cold control has gone bad. It runs from the fridge temperature control knob to the damper where it checks the temperature of the fridge. If this goes bad it will either never let your compressor to turn on or your compressor runs all the time. The symptom of "frosty buildup" is a key indicator of the cold control on all the time. You need to replace that. I am sending you a diagram to show you where in your fridge your cold control is located. On the diagram it is #3. The part should run around $30.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am going to enter accept but my cold control knob must be under the shroud with the light and where the defrost timer is located. If I lower the shroud I should see the #3, frig. temp control knob? Is that correct?