Francis
Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .
11923974

I have a Frigidaire FRS20ZSH (side-by-side). The Icamaker is

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire FRS20ZSH (side-by-side). The Icamaker is giving ice but everytime it fills up some water overflows (over) the "bearing and inlet" part (the square part where the line comes in). This overflowing water just accumulates on the ice container and jams it (after a while). We tried unfreezeing the freezer for a few hours but it did not help. Our water works fine and the filters gets changed every six months or so.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 4 years ago.
Bo you have to much water pressure to the unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well nothing has changed in 8 years of it working fine. The water pressure appears to be the same in my faucet has before. I completly thawed my freezer and the inlet seems ok. Water flows downs the tube into the intlet but it overflows for some reason.
Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

I suggest you bring down the icemaker to look at it closely. You could have a broken harvesting fork and could be leaving one cube everytime it harvest and would create an overflow during water filling because of the presence of the frozen cube. And as you brought down the ice,aker. you can check also if it has a water level adjustment and you can try also to decrease the amount of water. In some ice maker module, there is no water adjustment screw.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info but yesterday night I decided to remove the ice maker and notice that the forks are not broken. I also checked if the heater element still works and it does. This problem is really WEIRD. The water overflow above the inlet but nothing seems to block the flow of water has it makes ice every cycle.
Expert:  Randy replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I see you are having problems with your icemaker overflowing. I have found that there are 2 more than likely problems. It is either the tube that brings the water in to the cup is sticking out to far and the water is coming off of the back of the cup or that your water valve is not shutting off right away which in turn lets excess water through causing the overflow. What you need to do is wait and watch for the water to come in and see exactly where it is overflowing from. The cup or the tray and that will tell you where your problem lies.

Expert:  Francis replied 4 years ago.

That is really weird. Have you checked the tube that comes out if it is not partially frozen? If it has ice on the tube, the water would splash as it squirt on a tight opening, that would make the water spill and could be considered as an overflow.

Or else, your water pressure really increases. The water regulating valve of the house ( if it has one ) could be acting up and no longer holds the water pressure level at the right pressure. Or if there is no water regulating valve, you can try to decrease your inlet pressure to the fridge by closing partially the tap on the cold pipe under the sink. You can set it by using the water dispenser. Get a big pitcher, get some water on the dispenser and observe the flow while another person tries to close the tap and bring down the pressure a little bit going to the fridge.