Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

I have a maytag washer model number MAV7600AWW. I think it

Customer Question

I have a maytag washer model number MAV7600AWW. I think it is about 7-8 years old. I have a couple of problems that just started in the past week. First, the machine would not fill if the lid was closed; it only filled with the lid open. This only happened once. Second, the timer is starting to stop in one location. If you move it, it will start again.   Third and most concerning is today the timer stopped again and when it was discovered stuck, there was a strong burning smell. I wasn’t there to see where the smell was coming from, but it sounded like it was coming from the back of the machine. I want to change the timer, but I’m not sure about the burning smell and if the timer would do this. The burning smell sounds more like a motor. What do you think the problem is? I have the control panel open and have access to the timer. I’m not quite sure how to remove the knob from the front of the control panel to get the timer off. Is there a trick to getting the knob off?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 5 years ago.
The timers rarely fail on this model. it sounds like you have a bad lid switch. If you tip the unit backwards you can see the belt underneath. Make sure that the belt doesnt have any burned spots on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I looked at the belt and it seems to be okay. There is a fair amount of black residue from the belt on the pulleys, but the belt seems to be okay. The tension on the belt also seems okay, but I'm not sure how tight it should normally be.

Are you suggesting I replace the lid switch? I'm curious why this would cause the timer to stop in a particular spot?

The washer wont spin if the lid is open so the timere probably stops at the first rinse cycle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm not clear what you are telling me to do. Should I replace the lid switch and the belt?

If you see black residue on the pulleys from the belt then you need to replace it. You also need to replae the lid switch to get the timer from stopping.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will buy the parts and replace both right away and then accept your answer. Thank you.
Your welcome. Take care.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I changed the lid switch and belt tonight and it seems to be running just fine. I'm accepting your answer. thanks.
Your welcome. Take care.