Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an Amana model br22tw top/bottom refrigerator freezer

Customer Question

I have an Amana model br22tw top/bottom refrigerator freezer - resently the freezer temp doesnnot hold so ice product ion very poor, water pools and food is not frozen - what would this be the defrost thermostat? how do I adjust or fix
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
is there frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? do you hear the fan running in the freezer? let me know thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The defrost cycle appears to be to long, ice is slow in making, melts and refreezes, other food goes bad. I think there is a timer under the freezer uit, right side behind the kickplace. I do not know how to adjust or if this is bad and need to replaced.

Am I atacking the right part?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well this could be a nunber of things, 1 it could be the defrost timer, 2 you may have a compressor relay problem, do you hear any clicking or buzzing behind the freezer near the compressor?let me know,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no clicking, no buzzing no noise. everything else is fine. I originall thought it could be the gasket and replaced it, but that is not the problem.

I did notice that it will heat up very warm in the defrost cycle. If The defrost timer is the issue it might be out of adjustment? (you can turn the "dial" in the timer in a circular motion and at one point it will click like you have hit a switch point). Is this the timer adjustment? How do I know how long it is set for as there are no markings. After the click or switch. Is the timer increased or decreased by rotating the dial clockwise?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok you may have a bad timer, you cant adjust these ,when you turned it and it clicked thats the defrost cycle kicking in , the timer is probably running slow, its basicly a clock and sometimes they slow down. these are 8 hour timers which means the refrigerator will run for 8 hours and then go into defrost for around 1/2-1 hour and then the refrigerator comes back on, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you can replace this for around $16.00 dollars. you can get this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-br22tw+-%3d%3di1156627&PartID=1156627 hope this helps , thanks ,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks - what happens if I take the timer out? How bad can it get?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
if you remove the timer the refrigerator wont run. the timer also controls the compressor. this has to be in, I would oreder one and then change it. they just plug in very simple. hope this helps,thanks ,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Brian, thank you for the help. Where are you in TN? My wife is from Tullahoma.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
Greeneville, near Johnson City ,