John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

We have an Amana SofSound II Dishwasher. It worked a couple

We have an Amana SofSound II Dishwasher. It worked a couple days ago and now it wont. It seems there is no power flowing to the dishwasher. I have already tried the breaker and dont know where else to check. We close the door as if we want to put it through a cylce, but no lights turn on when we push the buttons.

Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hi thanks for the qustion.

What model # XXXXX you have ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont see a model # XXXXX on the dishwasher.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Open tthe door it should be on the side of the tub
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am in the office til early afternoon. I will have to check again when I get home. I really thought I looked yesterday and didnt see anything resembling a model #. Thank you for helping me and being so quick on your responses.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok thats fine i will wait for the model # XXXXX need it to see what you have
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife went home and read to me what we think it the model #. ADB2200AWB. Is that the model #?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
When you get a chance check the small box behind the bottom kick plate.its wher the 120 volts hooks up to the d/w.If not there check the door switch.its a common problem for the lid switch to fail.let me know if not the problem we can check further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took the kick plate off yesterday and think I know what box you are talking about. How can I tell if it has failed?

When I get home I turn off the power in the circuit breaker to the dishwasher, then I will take off the kickplate and find the box. What should I do from there? Remove the screws and open the box? How can I tell if its bad?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
when you open the box if you find a burnt wire repair it and try the d/w.If thats ok check the door switch.the door switch will be broken.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I repair a burnt wire? replace it? If there is no burnt wire in the box, then I will turn my attention to the door switch. Where is that located / what does it look like?. How do I check the door switch to see if it is broken?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedModelSearch.aspx?ModelNum=ARB1905CS&mfgModelNum=PARB1905CS0&fkMfgID=1

Here is the break down for the d/w the door switch has two little micro switches.the little button on the switch should click when pushed

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think the link you sent me goes to diagrams for refrigerators.

Also, should I find a burnt wire in the box under the kickplate, how do I repair it?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedModelSearch.aspx?ModelNum=ADB2200AWB&mfgModelNum=&fkMfgID=1

Sorry about that.you will see two wire nut connectors. remove the connectors and see if there both look ok.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I click on the link, am I to then click on the "control panel" picture? It appears item #4 is a door switch. If the little button on the switch doesn't click, then it needs to be replaced, is that correct?

Back to the burnt wires/ wire nut connectors. How can I tell if the nut connectors are OK?

Thank you so much for your help so far.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Yes you will be able to feel the little switch it will click.the wire nuts will be discolored.

The burt wires in the box is a common problem

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I repair the wires if they are burnt?
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You cut the ones that burnt and use a new connector. It will fix that problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I just trim the wire where its burnt and use a new connector? How do I use a new connector? is that another part I have to purchase?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Its a small plastic connector you twist the wires together with it.You can buy a small bg at the hardware store with a few in the bag
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, I understand what that is. I will let you know what I find when I open up the dishwasher later on.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok talk later
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After all of these discussions, the wife doesnt feel comfortable with me trying to fix it myself b/c I have never done something like this before.

Thank you for all your help. I am sorry I cant put it to good use.

If I have any questions in the future, is there anyway I can get a direct contact to you or do I have to go through this website and hope that its you who responds.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

This is not a hard job to do.

And there is a first time.as long as the power is not at the d/w you have nothing to fear.and you can ask for me

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked the box under the kickplate and the wires didnt look burnt. I couldnt get the plastic caps off the wire tips, but the plastic connector looked fine.

I went to step 2 and the control panel. The diagram you sent me says there is a screw in the side for step 1, but I dont see that. I see screws all along the inside of the door and across the top. They arent phillips head and they arent allen wrench either. THey almost look like a 6 sided star. I dont have anything that will fit in it. Do you know what this is?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hi

The screws are called torx screws.You can buy them at any hardware store.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, Thank you for all your help. I will have no time this week to attempt to fix the dishwasher. Held the wife off until tonight. We cant live another week w/out this thing working so I am going to have to waive the white flag, call in the professional and thank you again for all your help. Will this posting remain available to me in the future if I use the link I was sent in my email every time you responded?

If you want I will let you know what the problem was so you can add it to your possible solutions in the future to a person who has a similar problem.

Thanks again.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Let me know how you made out.

The Appliance Doc

John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.