Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Maytag Refrigerator - Compressor seems to be getting to hot

Maytag Refrigerator - Compressor seems to be getting to hot and thermal protection kicking in. I have had issues for weeks and have asked questions of JustAsk twice. I have no problem talking to same person or someone new with different view of issue. My question - Do I need new compressor fan motor or new compressor. If I unplug for 1 hr and let cool, it runs for anywhere from 4 hours to 5 days. When it is having problems it kicks on compressor every 5 minutes for about 15 seconds then kicks off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well this is probably a start relay issue, is the condensor fan next to the compressor running? this may also be covered under the maytag factory recall on the start devices. if you get me the model # XXXXX will check that. thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
MSD2651HEW
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well I dont see it on this recall notice but they just expanded the recall and you can go to this site and get info on yours whether its on the new list or not, https://repair.maytag.com/prjjck/default.jsp I would either check this on the site or call maytag to verifie yours, these are recalled for fire hazzard so the faster the better, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If it is not on the list, what should I do to repair. Do you think the compressor is bad? Fan? Starter Relay?

Issue has been on and off for 3-4 weeks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I would replace the start relay, if that doesnt fix it then the compressor is probably failing, my geuss is though the relay is bad, 90% of the time it is. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

do you have a part number? is it an easy replacement, anything I need to know?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need to run to store before 1pm cst, if you have part number and any instruction I would appreciate it and can get the accept done before i go. thanks for help
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok it looks like they changed over to this realy, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these are easy to install, its right on the side of the compressor and just unplugs, you can get this for around $27.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-67005560-%3d%3di1159182&PartID=1159182 first I would take yours off the refrigerator and look to see if its the same, just remove the clip holding it and pull it straight out and off the compressor. hope this helps,thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the part # XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
last question, I promise. is there a chance the fan on compressor is not working and that is why compressor is getting hot?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes thats what i mentioned in one of my first post make sure the fan is running, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can i see the condensor fan if i get behind refrig? i am going to jump behind it now and take a look, does it run 100% of the time?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes its behind the panel in the back and it should be running all the time when the compressor is running. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Go back there, fan is working, I can see relay seems pretty straight forward, also looks like a mouse was back there. wire appear to be untouch (not bites from mouse). I guess I will try the relay.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
more than likely this will solve your problem, thanks Bryan