Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi, I have a Kenmore Microwave model XXXXXXXXXXX When you

Hi, I have a Kenmore Microwave model XXXXXXXXXXX When you start the it there is a crackeling sound and then it shuts down (within 5 seconds of start)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
most likely you have a bad high voltage diode thats bad in this but a word of warning from the goverment is in order for this, CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven , repairing this requires working on the high voltage side of the microwave and I recommend calling for service or replacing the microwave, be safe, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How expensive is the repair? Is it cheaper to replace?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well if its the h.v. diode, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=which I believe it is, these are only about $8.00 so you can figure that plus whatever a local service company charges for service and labor it may not be an expensive repair, hope this helps,thanks Bryan