Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our side-by-side suddenly stopped cooling, on both sides. I

Customer Question

Our side-by-side suddenly stopped cooling, on both sides. I have cleaned the coils, unplugged it briefly and replugged it in. After running all night, it still does not appear to be cooling. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  applianceguy replied 7 years ago.
Hi, What is the make and model # ? Is the fan in the freezer running? Pull the unit out and remove back bottom cover, is the compressor and fan running?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a Whirlpool Gold GD25FFCHW00. The fan inside the freezer is running. However, when I removed that cover, the fan back there was not running. I don't know how to tell if the compressor is running, but it certainly isn't making any noise. The ONLY noise coming from the machine is from the fan INSIDE the freezer.
Put your hand on the compressor, is it vibrating ? is it hot ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the compressor is the relatively large thing shaped like a slightly flattened balloon, then no. It is cool and is not vibrating.
I will opt out so another tech may help you, I am not familiar with this models control panel. Do not respond to this post or it will kick you back to me.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the most likely cause for your problem is the start device on the compressor, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= they sell this kit to fix this. you can purchase this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-GD25FFCHW00-%3d%3dei1177468&PartID=1177468 for around $60.00 this should fix your problem, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If that is not the problem, what are the most likely other possibilities?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well whirlpool had allot of problems with the start relays in there refrigerators, the only way to check is to put a volt meter on the compressor wires and see if your getting 110 volts, if you are you need the start kit, if your not you need to check the control board, Part 77591490% of the time though its the start device. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, Bryan! We appreciate your help.
Scott
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
npo problem, well wishes and thank,Bryan