Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an Amana refrigerator which is malfunctioning. When

I have an Amana refrigerator which is malfunctioning. When it is running OK it keeps the freezer at 5 degrees below zero. Sometimes it cycles on and off and working properly. Sometimes it stops and doesn't start again automatically;the freezer temp can reach to 40 degrees above zero. When it fails to restart automatically I can get it restarted by turning the temp. control off and on again. It may run for a short while and then shuts off again even if the temp. in the freezer is still higher than it should normally be. I reset it once again manually and the process repeats itself. At times it goes back to functioning properly and then it's back to malfunctioning. What do you think is the problem and what would you estimate the repair cost to be if done by a repairman? I can probably do the repair myself if it does not require replacing the compressor or coolent. Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me the model #? also check the condensor fan in the back of refrigerator next to the compressor, make sure the fan is running. let me know ,thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have given you the model number it is TX20QL. The fan is working properly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok sorry, missed that, is it just the compressor that doesnt start or the fan on the inside and all wont start?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When it stops, the compressor and fan shuts off. When I manually restart bothe the compressor and the fan turns on.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I believe you have a bad cold control even though you tested it for continuity these sometimes have a bad spot and wont restart the refrigerator all the time. I replace allot of amana cold controls, more than any other brand , Part 126547you can purchase this for around $45.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-TX20QL-%3d%3dei126547&PartID=126547 thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I supect the control as well, however could the compressor relay be faulty?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
that could be but ussually they make a clicking or buzzing sound if their faulty though, you stated everything sounds normal. this is your relay, Part 441022its on the side of the compressor , if you remove this and shake it and it rattles loudly this could be the problem, though this wouldnt stop the fan from running,