Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have owned a Samsung refrigeratot Model # XXXXX for 3

I have owned a Samsung refrigeratot Model # XXXXX for 3 years and since day 1, the ice maker can't seem to make enough ice to keep the fridge from going into 'power freeze' mode. According to the manual, it does this when the ice tray is low enough to help it make more ice. About every 8 months, I have to take the cover off the freezer blower to defrost all the ice that builds up from being on perpetual 'power freeze'. The ice maker works, it just deosn't keep up. I called Samsung a number of times and they tell me it is out of warranty and I am on my own.

I thought it may be that we have 4 kids and 2 adults inthe house and we use the ice a lot but when we vacationed this summer, the GE fridge at the house we rented had no problem keeping up.

Any suggestions?
can you tell me the temp. in tghe freezer? get a thermometer and put it in the freezer and let me know the temp. thanks Bryan
this may be the issue with the ice maker. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these have a temp. sensor on them and tell the ice maker when to cycle, if the sensor is faulty it may take a long time to cycle. let me know when you know the temp. in the freezer.thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just put the thermometer in the freezer. I'll give it a few minutes and reply back to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, the thermometer is showing 19 degrees. its plenty cold enough in there.
actually the freezer should be between 0-8 degrees, the sensors pick up that its 19 degrees and the ice maker will not produce as much ice as it would if it were down to the right temp. you need to get someone to look at the refrigerator and see why its not cooling correcty, this is why the ice maker is so slow at producing ice. let the thermometer sit in there for a few hours without opening it and let me know the temp. then. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just checked it again and it reads 6 degrees.
ok good, thats better, but you will need to replace the part i showed you above. this senses the temp. and tells the ice maker to dump the ice and make a new batch, you can purchase this @ this should take care of your problem, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Though I am not an appliance repairman, i am handy. How hard is it to put this in?
it shouldnt be, I'll look up the diagrams and get back to you, thanks,Bryan
it looks like there are only a couple of screws holding this part on in the front of the ice maker, see diagram, really doesn't look that difficult, every ice maker is different so I cant give you pacifics on how this comes appart but it looks fairly easy. this may come with instuctions also. you can get this @ if you need to order it. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also, the site that has the part wants $86. I Googled the part # XXXXX found many sites that had for under $15.
thats great! I didnt really google it but thought you may want to look anyway, thanks and let me know if you need more help. Bryan