Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

model RSW22E0 Fridge side-by-side. Water leak, about 1/2

Customer Question

model RSW22E0 Fridge side-by-side.

Water leak, about 1/2 to 1 cup randomly, shows up on corner of fridge under freezer compartment. It sometimes goes several days without leaking and sometime a couple times in one day. Irurned ice maker off and this leak still will randomly occur. I use the water and ice dispenser and his doesn't seem to cause a leak?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
first thing you need to do is remove the back panel inside the freezer and check the defrost drain hole, its located under the coils once you get the panel # XXXXX on this diagram off, let me know if theres any ice under the coils, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't do that right now...but your response made me think about dust etc at back of fridge around condensor. It was loaded with dust and cat hair.

I vacumed thoroughly and disconnected fridge for an hour.

I will observe over next few days.

If leak still occurs, I will follow thru with your direction and respond.

If it clears up I will respond and approve payment.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok thats fine. it may take longer than a few hours but maybe not, let me know, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to take so long...I was away from home for several weeks.

The leak continued after unplugging fridge and leaving door open for an entire day. I turned fridge and freezer back on and whne I came back after several weeks I could see the leaking still occurs.

I just removed the back panel and examined the drain. There was no ice behaind the coils. The drain seems to be free but when I poured a cup of water in the trays around the drain hole some went into the catch tray beneath the fridge as I would expect but some leaked into the freezer compartment in the same manner as the leaking I observed?

It seems like the gasket may not be tight? Guessing only...
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
what I usually do is get a piece of the 1/4" plastic tube like the one that runs up the back of the refrigerator to the ice maker (you can get this at lowes real cheap) about 3 feet long and push it through the drain hole all the way to the pan below, this tube is flexable but bend and is stiff enough to push it thru. I suspect this drain is partialy clogged. I dont know which gasket your speaking about so cant help there. let me know thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That seems to have done the trick. I pushed the 1/4 inch OD tube thru until I could see it come out the drain tube over the catch plate.

Now when I put a cup of water in the drain it all goes down without leaking.

It's back together and back on....I'mm hoping for the best!

Thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome. thats a little trick i use all the time sometimes you can have a partial blockage and this clears it out, thanks , Bryan